Please Donate Blood/Platelets and Materials for West, TX Victims Today (Updated)
4/18/2013 10:19:00 AM
It has not been the best week for news in the US. Last night's fertilizer plant explosion near Waco was a terrifying shock. There is a great need for blood donations (especially type O positive and negative) and an even greater need for platelets. Please go to www.inyourhands.org to find locations and see if you are eligible.
Cash and check donations can be made out to:
American Red Cross Heart of Texas Chapter
4224 Cobbs Drive
Waco, TX 76710
Or call (254)523-4985 to donate via credit or debit card.
KEYE has put together a great list of resources, but many of them are not in the Austin area - if I do hear of more immediately local ways to help, I will certainly share them with you (and likewise, please feel free to share them with me). Thank you.
UPDATES: The Blood Center in South Austin is closed today (it will be open tomorrow). There is a location on North Lamar and one in Round Rock. I've also been informed that donated blood has to sit in testing for a day and a half before it can be sent to West, so please donate ASAP.
Also, per their Facebook page: "TexStyles Designer Fabric Showroom in SW Austin (2605 Jones Rd. Suite D, Austin, TX 78745) is going to collect clothes, blankets, toiletries, toys, feminine products and anything else that you can donate and make sure that it gets up to the Good Folks in West, TX who have suffered a devastating disaster. There are 100s and 100s displaced, many will end up in Austin. If you can please donate; Markhollan will collect all of your donations into a large crate. We will also have a jar for cash donations available in the store. TexStyles will also make donations of a % of all sales for the rest of the week. We will collect today and tomorrow and take the collections up to Baylor where a donation intake has been set up."
Big thanks to KVUE for the following information: IN AUSTIN, Ryno Moving is accepting donations of water, blankets, clothes, food, baby supplies, etc. Call (512) 740-4114 or (512) 773-9344 or e-mail email@example.com.
- IN ROUND ROCK: Great American Storage and Post Office is accepting clothing and water. It's located at 16450 RR 620 N Round Rock, TX 78681. Contact phone: 512-248-1518.
- Carter Blood Center in Waco will be taking blood donations at 9 a.m. Thursday morning.
- Scott and White Blood and Donation Center taking blood donations overnight.
- Point West Bank - drop off or send to 200 West Oak Street, West 76691
- The Extraco Events Center will be setting up to take donations starting at 9 am on Thursday. For information, call (254) 776-1660
- Both Peas & tots and Smarty Pants consignment stores in Waco are accepting clothing donations in all sizes for those in West.
- Axtell High School will be taking any kind of donations at the school on Thursday. Please donate anything. the PALS organization is taking all donations and will be accepting tomorrow and Friday during school.
The Capital Area Food Bank is sending disaster relief to West, TX. Donate here.